This dish did not leave us missing the bun and definitely got added to list of favorite meals. It is jam-packed with flavor! Also… it has bacon, and that’s ‘nuff said ‘bout that.
Bacon Cheeseburger Skillet
Serves: 4-5 Cooking Time: 1 hour
- 1/2 lb. bacon
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp. seasoning salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 2 tbsp. chopped garlic (or 2 cloves)
- 1 lb. ground elk (or any ground game meat of your choosing)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Dill pickle chips
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat Traeger or oven to 375°.
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Place bacon on pan, cook in Traeger/ oven for 20 minutes.
- When the bacon is done, remove, set aside to cool.
- Reduce Traeger/ oven heat to 350°.
- Heat cast iron or pan on stove top, add olive oil.
- Dice onion, add to pan, sprinkle with season salt and pepper.
- Sauté until translucent and golden brown in color.
- Add garlic to onion, cook just until fragrant.
- Add ground meat to onion mixture and brown.
- Add ketchup, Worcestershire, and cream cheese to meat and stir until completely melted.
- At this point, if you are using a cast iron please disregard. If you are using a normal stove top pan that cannot be transferred into the oven (due to plastic handles, etc.); transfer your meat/ onion mixture into an oven safe baking dish like a bread loaf pan.
- Whisk your eggs and heavy whipping cream together, pour evenly over the top of the meat.
- Cut Bacon up and spread evenly on top of meat.
- Add desired amount of pickles evenly to the top of the meat mixture.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Cook in Traeger or oven for 30 minutes.
- Add pickled jalapenos
- Add crispy onions and BBQ Sauce to the top
- Add roasted green chilies
- Use pepper jack instead of cheddar cheese
- Add tomatoes and raw onion
- Add some guacamole
- Put a fried egg on top to stretch the meal a bit farther