These potatoes are guaranteed to be a camp favorite. They might even make you do a happy dance!
Serves: 6 Cooking Time: 1 hour
- 1 yellow onion
- 1/2 lb. thick cut bacon
- 1 bag golden potatoes
- 2 packages of Onion Soup powdered mix
- 1/3 c. Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Dice onion, cook in a pan with a small amount of olive oil until they start to turn translucent.
- Cut bacon into 1/2” strips, add to onion, and cook until it starts to get crispy.
- While the Onion/ Bacon cooks, begin cutting your potatoes onto bite size pieces (roughly 1/2” – 3/4” square pieces)
- Place potatoes into a 9” x 13” baking dish
- Remove onion/ bacon from grease and in with the potatoes
- Pour remaining bacon grease into liquid measuring cup, fill to the 1/3 line, add olive oil if needed.
- Mix both packets of onion soup mix into the oil, stir until combined
- Pour onion soup/ oil mix over potatoes, stir
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the potatoes are soft (a fork easily slides into and back out of a piece of potato)
- Traeger: High (425°-450°) for 45 minutes.
- Dutch Oven: Build your fire, let your coals burn down. Place coals under Dutch Oven, saute onions and bacon, add potatoes, oil, and seasoning, place lid on Dutch Oven, and coals on top of lid. Refresh coals as needed, check after 30 minutes.