Jay and Josh sat down with Matt Woodward to discuss how to find DIY opportunities to hunt Coues deer in Sonora, Mexico. Most of the time, these hunts come via membership in hunting groups on Facebook, or even private domain forums like Coueswhitetail.com.
A landowner or go-between will advertise the availability of these hunts to members of the group, or through direct messages. But how do you know if what you’re getting is legit?
We discuss the questions you should be asking about these offers. These questions include:
- What part of Sonora is the ranch in? What is that part of Sonora known for?
- What is the name of the ranch?
- How many deer in the last several years have been killed on this ranch?
- What is the general quality of the deer being killed?
- Are there references who have hunted before that you can contact?
- Does the ranch have UMA registration?
- What is the price? And what is included in the price?
Too often, US-based outfitters act merely as middlemen between the rancher and the hunter without ever stepping foot on the ranch to check it out. By asking the right questions, and doing your homework you can avoid the problem of expecting one thing, and getting another.