We had the pleasure of taking a friend who has never been hunting out on her first hunt. I did tell her, if we shoot it, we eat it. Squirrel Coq Au Vin is a traditional French recipe resulting in tender and delicious meat.
Serves: 6 Cooking Time: 2 hours
- 4 squirrels – cleaned and quartered into front and hind w/ loin quarters. Leave bone in. *This dish can also be made with rabbit or chicken.*
- 6 thick cut slices of bacon cut into 1/2” pieces
- 3 springs of fresh thyme
- 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 1 c. of flour
- 2 tbsp. of cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp. of season salt
- 2 c. of pearl onions, pealed
- 2 c. shiitake mushrooms
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1/4 c. parsley
- 4 c. beef broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the squirrel: Skinned, Quartered, and rinsed well.
- If cooking in an OVEN, use a cast iron pan for the entire recipe and preheat oven to 325° F.
- If cooking over a CAMPFIRE, use a Dutch oven with a lid for the entire recipe and prepare a bed of hot hardwood coals, place Dutch oven on coals.
- Prepare flour, cayenne, and season salt mixture
- Cook your bacon in your pan to your desired doneness. Remove bacon and set aside.
- Dredge Squirrel in flour mixture, brown both sides in bacon grease. Remove squirrel with the bacon and set aside.
- Sauté diced celery, diced carrots, diced garlic, onions, and mushrooms until soft.
- Add bacon and squirrel back into the pan, ensuring the squirrel is laid out flat and not overlapping itself.
- Mix parsley with beef broth and pour into pan until it just barely covers the top of the squirrel.
- Lay the sprigs of thyme and rosemary evenly across the top.
- If OVEN: place cast iron pan into oven and cook for 1.5 hours.
- If CAMPFIRE: place lid on Dutch oven, replace the coals with fresh, hot coals, place coals on top of the lid, let sit for 1.5 hours rotating the cast iron every 30 minutes to ensue an even cook.
- The end result should be a somewhat caramelized looking mixture. You may need to adjust your cooking time accordingly.
- Remove and enjoy!